Thursday, February 16, 2012

February 14, 2012, Valentine's Day Remembrance

     Three years today my youngest brother, Max Wilson, died at his home in California.  He was a middle school teacher working with "at risk" students for many years.  After graduating from Michigan State he ventured into the field of education where he was regarded as a creative teacher and administrator.   He felt that his students in San Francisco were lucky to live in such a wonderful city that offered so much culture and beauty.  Two years ago I wrote about Max and the influence he had on his student's lives.  Now I write because as time marches on, I feel his impact more and more.

   This past October I visited my mother and brother, Randall Wilson, and met with the librarian of the school where they both taught.  Randall is still teaching English and drama in San Francisco and he and I toured the library of Aptos Middle School with Roxane Martin.  She spoke of how she had carefully removed many old books that were in disrepair.  Armed with determination, Roxane has renovated the library shelving, seating and decor.  Beautiful pictures hang on the clean walls; posters celebrating diversity complete the renovation and new books are available for all.  The Max Wilson collection of art books has a special place in the Aptos Library along with Rhymetime Publications.  Max would be so proud to see his book collection lovingly shelved for the students and faculty to enjoy.  This library is a gem and Roxane Martin deserves  the credit for taking action to give the city  and school system of San Francisco a fine library...a library with the doors open for students.  I quote the late Erma Bombeck:  "As a child, my number one best friend was the librarian  in  grade school.  I actually believed all those books belonged to her."  But of course, the books belong to everyone to share and enjoy made possible by a special librarian.

No comments:

Post a Comment