Sunday, October 16, 2011

San Francisco Here I Come and Big E Update

Hello Friends,

I am off this week to San Francisco to visit family and friends.  I can't wait to fly out and check in at The Hotel Mayflower on Bush Street.  My favorite hotel ever with a deli next door.  The hotel is about 3 blocks from my mother's condo on Pine Street.  Taking Pine Street into China Town is about a 15 minute walk downhill.  Uphill, I can head to the piers for an afternoon of boating and shopping.

While in San Francisco, I will be giving several workshops entitled:  Mobius Magic.  These workshops will be given to junior high schoolers during library time.  We will discuss Dr. Mobius, his famous magical loop, construct loops and talk about Mobius strips of language. 

The "Thinking Cap Literary Society" is sponsoring these workshops....my society !  Can't wait to tackle these scholars !  Books I will use include:  The Mother Tongue by Bill Bryson and The Mobius Strip by Clifford Pickover.  Both books are excellent, easy to read discussions about scientific and mathematical concepts, and their relationships to writing skills.  Mobius takes scholars to intellectual areas in our daily lives:  the national recycling sign is a Mobius strip; the national breast cancer pink symbol.  The ever challenging Mobius strip of one edge and one side...the ever interpretable Mobius language that challenges our brain.  Here's several examples:  "I get to keep what nobody needs" ; "A photograph is a secret of a secret...the more we learn the less we know".  Endless interpreting.

The Big E was a huge success for CAPA authors.  Over $30,000 in books were sold !  Personally, I sold a lot of books even when I wasn't signing them.  Next year I will go back and take Bill Freund's new book that I am publishing about a magic cookie !  More soon on this adventure.

Thanks for reading,

Mollie

No comments:

Post a Comment